By the end of grade eight, students will:
F.8.1 Conduct research and inquiry on self-selected or assigned topics, issues, or problems and use an appropriate form to communicate their findings.
- Formulate research questions and focus investigation on relevant and accessible sources of information
- Use multiple sources to identify and locate information pertinent to research including encyclopedias, almanacs, dictionaries, library catalogs, indexes to periodicals, and various electronic search engines
- Conduct interviews, field studies, and experiments and use specialized resources (such as almanacs, fact books, pamphlets, and technical manuals) when appropriate to an investigation
- Compile, organize, and evaluate information, taking notes that record and summarize what has been learned and extending the investigation to other sources
- Review and evaluate the usefulness of information gathered in an investigation
- Produce an organized written and oral report that presents and reflects on findings, draws sound conclusions, adheres to the conventions for preparing a manuscript, and gives proper credit to sources